The Resource "Beauty is the promise of happiness"?
- "Beauty is the promise of happiness"?
- Statement of responsibility
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, Jason Abrevaya
- We measure the impact of individuals' looks on life satisfaction/happiness. Using five data sets, from the U.S., Canada, the U.K., and Germany, we construct beauty measures in different ways that allow placing lower bounds on the effects of beauty. Beauty raises happiness: A one standard-deviation change in beauty generates about 0.10 standard deviations of additional satisfaction/happiness among men, 0.12 among women. Accounting for a wide variety of covariates, particularly effects in the labor and marriage markets, including those that might be affected by differences in beauty, the impact among men is more than halved, among women slightly less than halved
- Cataloging source
- no index present
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Series statement
- NBER working paper series
- Series volume
- no. 17327
ContextContext of "Beauty is the promise of happiness"?
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work "Beauty is the promise of happiness"?
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.library.eui.eu/resource/fdt4396kIac/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.library.eui.eu/resource/fdt4396kIac/">"Beauty is the promise of happiness"?</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.library.eui.eu/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.library.eui.eu/">European University Institute</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by European University Institute. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...