The Resource Haute Autorité CECA, Service Juridique : [Fonds]

Haute Autorité CECA, Service Juridique : [Fonds]

Label
Haute Autorité CECA, Service Juridique : [Fonds], 1944-1982
Title
Haute Autorité CECA, Service Juridique
Title remainder
[Fonds]
Inclusive dates
1944-1982
Creator
Subject
Language
  • fre
  • ger
  • ita
  • dut
  • eng
  • fre
Summary
The fonds covers, among others, the following subjects: application, interpretation, and revision of the Treaty of Paris' provisions, legal personality of institutions and Staff regulations, relations with the Court of Justice and other institutions of the Community, legal issues related to the operation of the common market for coal and steel, agreements, social policy and restructuring of the industrial system. The need for expert legal advice became apparent when the High Authority was given the tasks entrusted by the Treaty establishing the European Coal and Steel Community. From 1952 to 1958, Robert Krawielicki and Michel Gaudet jointly led the service. Members of the High Authority and the various divisions asked legal advise on matters the most diverse. Such heavy workload resulted in a steady increase in the number of lawyers in the Service, from 6 in July 1953 to 11 at the end of 1957. Following the creation of the European Economic Community and the Euratom, the three communities had three common services, including the legal service. The creation of a common legal service responded to the requirement of comparing the legal issues raised by the application of the three treaties in order to ensure consistent interpretation. The absence of a single location for the three Communities and their services challenged the effectiveness "of a service dealing with issues for which an appeal may be addressed every day". It was then decided to establish a common legal service with branches attached to each of the three executives for work that required the proximity of the responsible authority. In reality the three branches operated more or less independently of each other although they collaborated at administrative level. The branch of the ECSC' Common Legal Service remained in Luxembourg under the direction of R. Krawielicki, which served until his death in February 1966. His succession was assured by Walter Much, who was his collaborator
Biographical or historical data
The Schuman Declaration of 9 May 1950 provided for the establishment of a common High Authority with powers of decision. The Treaty of Paris, signed on 18 April 1951 and creating the European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC), established the High Authority as its executive organ, based in Luxembourg on 10 August 1952. Jean Monnet, who inspired the Schuman Declaration and was head of the French delegation which participated in the negotiations on the Treaty, became its first president. In the first six months, the High Authority took steps to open the common market and establish its own working methods and an appropriate administrative structure to accomplish the tasks conferred by the Treaty. At first, the High Authority was composed of nine members, acting independently of their governments, which respected the supranational nature of the High Authority. The powers of the High Authority were balanced by other bodies of the ECSC: the Special Council of Ministers, the Common Assembly, a Joint Consultative Committee representing the economic interests of the coal and steel sector. A Court of Justice was in charge to ensure the correct legal interpretation and application of the Treaty. . Following an internal debate on the issues of member States' competence and the role of the President, six working groups were established to prepare the discussions of the College and coordinate the work of services on various matters. These services were maintained until the merger of the three Communities in 1967 In 1958, with the birth of the Commissions of the EEC and Euratom, common services were established. In 1960, the High Authority reorganized its services creating seven branches DG (Secretary General, Administration and Finance, Economics, Energy, Coal, Steel, working conditions and social security, sanitation, credit and investments . In addition to these seven branches, the High Authority appointed a number of experts as special advisers. This administrative structure lasted until the merger of the executives in July 1967. After the merger, the new European Commission decided to maintain the existing administrative structures of the three executives until the establishment on 28 March 1968 of a unified administrative structure.
Cataloging source
IT-FiEUI
Language note
Fonds in French, German, Italian, Dutch. Inventory in French
http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/organizationName
European Coal and Steel Community
http://library.link/vocab/subjectName
  • Organisation for European Economic Co-operation
  • European Coal and Steel Community
  • Société nationale des chemins de fer français
  • Coal
  • Steel
  • Coal mines and mining
  • Coal
  • Steel industry and trade
  • Iron industry and trade
  • Pricing
  • Antitrust law
  • Industrial concentration
  • Tariff
  • Foreign trade regulation
  • Freight and freightage
  • Coal trade
  • Economic assistance
  • Free choice of employment
  • Business enterprises, Foreign
Label
Haute Autorité CECA, Service Juridique : [Fonds]
Link
http://archives.eui.eu/en/fonds/48001?item=CEAB04
Instantiates
Note
Descriptions are the property of the European University Institute (Historical Archives of the European Union), but can be freely used provided that reference is made to the source
Control code
FIEb17200726
Extent
20 linear meters, 1438 files (1230 visible)
Governing access note
Access to documents is available only on microfiche
Immediate source of acquisition
The records of the fonds, coming from the Legal Service of the Commission, were transferred to the Historical Archives of the European Union from the Central Archives of the Commission, under a contract signed on 17 December 1984.
System control number
(OCoLC)933293903
Label
Haute Autorité CECA, Service Juridique : [Fonds]
Link
http://archives.eui.eu/en/fonds/48001?item=CEAB04
Note
Descriptions are the property of the European University Institute (Historical Archives of the European Union), but can be freely used provided that reference is made to the source
Control code
FIEb17200726
Extent
20 linear meters, 1438 files (1230 visible)
Governing access note
Access to documents is available only on microfiche
Immediate source of acquisition
The records of the fonds, coming from the Legal Service of the Commission, were transferred to the Historical Archives of the European Union from the Central Archives of the Commission, under a contract signed on 17 December 1984.
System control number
(OCoLC)933293903

Library Locations

    • Historical Archives of the European UnionBorrow it
      Villa Salviati, Via Bolognese 156, Firenze, 50139, IT
      43.8042266 11.2712712
Processing Feedback ...