The Resource Haute Autorité CECA, Sécretariat Général : [Fonds]

Haute Autorité CECA, Sécretariat Général : [Fonds]

Label
Haute Autorité CECA, Sécretariat Général : [Fonds], 1945-1970
Title
Haute Autorité CECA, Sécretariat Général
Title remainder
[Fonds]
Inclusive dates
1945-1970
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
  • fre
  • ger
  • ita
  • dut
  • eng
  • fre
Summary
The fonds CEAB 2 covers, among others, the following subjects: establishment of the European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC), meetings and decisions of the High Authority, organization of work and services, activities of other institutions and bodies of the ECSC (including the Common Assembly and the Consultative Committee), relations with the executives of the European Economic Community and Euratom, external relations, policy of the High Authority on common market for coal and steel, agreements, etc. The Secretariat, established on 1 October 1952, was in charge of coordinating the work of the High Authority and in particular of the College, producing and maintaining the minutes of meetings, keeping members informed of the progress within working groups, organizing and facilitating contacts between the High Authority members and the various divisions and with other Community institutions. The Press Service was originally attached to the Secretariat, which was also responsible for the Official Journal of the ECSC. In October 1956, the Secretariat was detached from the Press Service and in February 1960, following the reorganisation of the administration, the Secretariat of the High Authority became a directorate general and took the name of General Secretariat. Besides acting as secretariat of the College, it ensured the relations with other communities (EEC and Euratom), third countries and international organisations. The Division External Relations was attached to it. In March 1968, nine months after the merger of the executive bodies, the Secretariat General of the Commission of the European Communities was created as a successor to the General Secretariat of the High Authority of the ECSC, of the Executive Secretariat of the Commission of the EEC and of the Executive Secretariat of the Commission of Euratom
Biographical or historical data
The Schuman Declaration of 9 May 1950 provided for the establishment of a common High Authority with powers of decision. The Treaty of Paris, signed on 18 April 1951 and creating the European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC), established the High Authority as its executive organ, based in Luxembourg on 10 August 1952. Jean Monnet, who inspired the Schuman Declaration and was head of the French delegation which participated in the negotiations on the Treaty, became its first president. In the first six months, the High Authority took steps to open the common market and establish its own working methods and an appropriate administrative structure to accomplish the tasks conferred by the Treaty. At first, the High Authority was composed of nine members, acting independently of their governments, which respected the supranational nature of the High Authority. The powers of the High Authority were balanced by other bodies of the ECSC: the Special Council of Ministers, the Common Assembly, a Joint Consultative Committee representing the economic interests of the coal and steel sector. A Court of Justice was in charge to ensure the correct legal interpretation and application of the Treaty. Following an internal debate on the issues of member States' competence and the role of the President, six working groups were established to prepare the discussions of the College and coordinate the work of services on various matters. These services were maintained until the merger of the three Communities in 1967. In 1958, with the birth of the Commissions of the EEC and Euratom, common services were established. In 1960, the High Authority reorganised its services creating seven branches DG (Secretary General, Administration and Finance, Economics, Energy, Coal, Steel, working conditions and social security, sanitation, credit and investments. In addition to these seven branches, the High Authority appointed a number of experts as special advisers. This administrative structure lasted until the merger of the executives in July 1967. After the merger, the new European Commission decided to maintain the existing administrative structures of the three executives until the establishment on 28 March 1968 of a unified administrative structure.
Cataloging source
IT-FiEUI
Language note
Fonds in French, German, Italian and Dutch. Inventory in French
http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/organizationName
European Coal and Steel Community
http://library.link/vocab/subjectName
  • Schuman, Robert
  • Coppé, Albert
  • European Coal and Steel Community
  • European Coal and Steel Community
  • European Coal and Steel Community
  • European Coal and Steel Community
  • European Coal and Steel Community
  • General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (Organization)
  • Schuman plan
  • European integration
  • European communities
  • Coal trade
  • Coal trade
  • Coal
  • Steel industry and trade
  • Energy policy
  • Language policy
  • Free choice of employment
  • Speeches, addresses, etc
  • European Economic Community countries
  • Africa
Label
Haute Autorité CECA, Sécretariat Général : [Fonds]
Link
http://archives.eui.eu/en/fonds/42262?item=CEAB02
Instantiates
Note
Descriptions are the property of the European University Institute (Historical Archives of the European Union), but can be freely used provided that reference is made to the source
Control code
FIEb17111936
Extent
100 linear meters, 4394 files (4233 visible)
Governing access note
Access to documents is available only on microfiche
Immediate source of acquisition
The records of the fonds were transferred to the Historical Archives of the European Union from the Central Archives of the Commission, by a contract signed on 17 December 1984.
System control number
(OCoLC)851517141
Label
Haute Autorité CECA, Sécretariat Général : [Fonds]
Link
http://archives.eui.eu/en/fonds/42262?item=CEAB02
Note
Descriptions are the property of the European University Institute (Historical Archives of the European Union), but can be freely used provided that reference is made to the source
Control code
FIEb17111936
Extent
100 linear meters, 4394 files (4233 visible)
Governing access note
Access to documents is available only on microfiche
Immediate source of acquisition
The records of the fonds were transferred to the Historical Archives of the European Union from the Central Archives of the Commission, by a contract signed on 17 December 1984.
System control number
(OCoLC)851517141

Library Locations

    • Historical Archives of the European UnionBorrow it
      Villa Salviati, Via Bolognese 156, Firenze, 50139, IT
      43.8042266 11.2712712
Processing Feedback ...